Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Nitty Gritty

We had a good appointment with Dr. Walker on Monday (yesterday). He said all is healing well and went over the details of the pathology report. Most of this was mentioned previouslly, the only thing that I didn't include was that it was confirmed as a Grade 2, which is something that looks at how different that tumor cells are compared to "normal" cells. The possiblities are 1, 2 or 3. With Grade 2, these cells don't look like the normal cells and are somewhat faster growing than normal cells.

The pathology report also states that there was also some Ductal Carcenoma In Situ (DCIS) in the left breast as well as the tumor that started this whole deal. So, it seems that once again, the right decision happened to be made on the course of action. However, it was super-duper small - <.1cm at the largest diamater on the slide examined.

There were also two lymph nodes within the breast tissue, one was positive for the invasive ductal carcenoma. However, these lymph nodes are not considered in the satging, so I'm a Stage I. This is a tumor up to 2cm with no lymph node involvement.

All the other parts and pieces of me (sometimes I swear they took brain tissue as well) showed no cancer cells.

The next big day is our meeting with the Oncologist on Apri 26th were I think we'll confirm the treatment details.

I continue to work on my "range of motion" improvement and have yet to drive further than from the garage (in the alley) to the front of the house. I think I'm still a road hazard - even more so than before the surgery! Maybe I will just have to hire a driver.

I hope you are all doing well. As usual, thank you all for your supportive notes and e-mails. They always make my day!

Time to sign off, Matt just brought out the Pringles. I don't want to get crumbs in the keyboard.

5 comments:

k&d said...

Keep up with the good news. With all that has happened in VA we can use it. I hope your sojourn blankie is helping. Please call if you need me. Karen

Aunt Joan said...

Hi Sandy and Matt,
Your news continues to sound mighty fine. It's hard for me to believe that this didn't show up on your mammogram. What incredible luck that you decided to contact a breast cancer specialty group when you did. Hooray for all of you.
Lots of love,
AJ

Carla/Tom Schell said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your Aunt's comments and in my humble opinion the news could have been much much worse. I know this has been said a hundred times but keep up the positive attitude and do those exercises as they are so important. You have the support and love of so many!! Again, if you need anything we are available.
OXOXO's Sandy and Matt
Carla and Tom

Nancy & John said...

I so confused (which is nothing unusual for me)- stage 1, grade 2, 2cm, .1cm, ductal carcenoma in Situ (what the heck is a Situ?), lymph nodes ... ARGHHH! All in all, I think it sounds somewhat minor in the great scheme of things. I'm just glad you have it all out of you!! I hope treatment options are minimal, so good luck at your next appointment. I hope to see you all on May 5th.
XOXOXO, Nancy & John

Jacki and Steve said...

You continue to amaze me with your positivness(is that a word?) Good luck at your next appointment.
YOU GO GIRL!
Love, jacki and steve

p.s. Will we see you on the 5th?