Sunday, March 18, 2007

Nice Hat Baby!




Hi Everyone,
I want to thank all the "neighborhood ladies" who were at Amy's last Tuesday and all brought some fantastic hats and other great gifts. We had fun opening them today. Here are a couple pictures of Olivia doing some modeling.

Last week we met Dr. Chitambar who will be my oncologist. He seems to be a great guy and we were very comfortable with him. I think this might be a little tougher than I initially thought, but let's save that for later and just see how it goes once things get started. No sense in worrying now.

This week's appointments are a pre-op Monday followed by an "education session" with the surgeon's nurse. Then Thursday it's off to Nuclear Medicine for a MUGA ordered by Dr. Chitambar. What a name. Something to do with checking heart function due to of one of the drugs they think they will be using in my treatment. Dr. Chitambar said they won't know for sure what drugs the treatment will entail until after the surgery. There is one test that they need to wait 10 or so days for, so it won't be something we know immediately. This is the "FISH" test that determines the HER2 status. This would be yet one more piece of good news that we could get. The first is the confirmation that the lymph nodes are clear.

That takes care of all of the updates for now. Thank you all again for your notes, flowers and e-mails. I can't even begin to tell you how much they mean to me. I feel so fortunate to have so many wonderful friends and family, not just here in the U.S., but all around the world! My self-appointed positive mentor from Australia, Alan, pointed out that someone will be thinking of me every minute of the day. I don't think you can get a better support network than that. How did I get so lucky?

Hugs to everyone,
Sandy

16 comments:

Mom and Steve said...

It is wonderful to have so many people behind you! Everyone loves and supports you, Matt, Olivia and Carina! Anything you need, just ask!

Heidi & Mike said...

It was great seeing you on Tuesday.
We are thinking of you.

cindy and bob barczak said...

Sandy, what a great image-someone thinking of you every single minute of the day! You are at the top of our prayer list. All our love and support Cindy and Bob

becky & dennis said...

Hi Sandy--I have to do some research on these MUGA & FISH tests. You constantly amaze me with your strength and positive attitude. You know we love you and will help and support you in every way we can. Lots of love and prayers to you and Matt and, of course, the loves of your life, Olivia and Carina!
becky & dennis

Unknown said...

The Pennsylvania Schells are thinking of you, too. You are in our thoughts everyday.
Howie, Deb, & Eric

P.S. Love the pictures!

Aunt Joan said...

Well, I think I've figured out this Blog thing now. I was writing at the end of the list and missed all your current messages. Gotta go...I'm going to write to Donald Trump's Blog now.
AJ

Rebecca Costanzo said...

Sounds like the waiting is one of the hardest parts! We're thinking about you in Chicago. Love, Rebecca

k&d said...

Being a red hatter, I am always looking for a "wild" red hat. Do you have any? The city of Portage, or at least everyone I know, is praying for you. I cannot go anywhere without giving an update. The blogs help tremendously. All of the aunties are going to PA the end of July. You could come along and we would take care of you. Just think of the fun. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Sandy-
I don't know how you do it........you sound so positive and strong. I admire you (although, if you have lived with Matt this long, you have to be strong! He can be a handful if you haven't figured that out!) Hang in there!

Love Beth

Patsy said...

I'm sure Olivia, the fashion queen, will love to help you coordinate your hats and outfits! It's comforting to know that people will be thinking about around the clock... I gotta go and call Aunt Joan and find out what Donald Trump said.

Dad said...

Noticed that Amy has volunteered to be the meal Nazi. She's got to be the world's greatest neighbor, never mind friend. I'm getting ready to give Amy a call to get on the meal delivery schedule for pork chops and mushroom soup. My plan is to deliver it and then ceremoniously (mercifully) pour it out on the front lawn and go to pick up carry-out of your choice.

Love you,

Dad

Kendra said...

Hi Sandy! I'm going to guess that the chemo they're considering is Adriamycin (or Doxorubicin) and Cytoxan, since Adria is the one they'll need ejection fraction tests (the MUGA) for. Did they explain that if the HER2 is positive they would give you a drug called Herceptin? If this is all in the plan, my next question is: has anyone asked you about getting a port placed during/after surgery? It's a small implanted device in your chest for the chemo/herceptin to go in and saves you a lot of pokes in your arm. Just a thought. Anyway, keep trucking through all these appts!

Linda Holinga said...

MUGA-ing and FISH-ing??? Are you SURE you don't live in Louisiana??? Yep, we (THEY) have the highest murder rate in the US, compliments of Katrina/Rita, AND we (THEY) eat "crawdads"----fish bait to us Yankees. Well, YUK!!!!

Keep up that wonderful positive attitude, Sandy. That and your beautiful family, coupled with your world-wide fan club, will get you through this with flying colors! I'm so anxious to meet you!

Love to you all, Linda Holinga, Steve's cousin

k&d said...

I have not talked to you lately . Just wanted to let you know we are still thinking and praying for you and your family. Keep smiling 9or at least try.) Aunt Karen

Cory Jo said...

Hi Honey, just checking your blog to make sure I know EVERYTHING going on with you! That's cuz I love ya!

Keep up the great positive attitude, and if there is anything I can do, please let me!!

Love
Cory Jo :>)

Paul and Trish said...

Sandy:

We just heard the news. Our thought and prayers are with you, Matt and the girls. If you need ANYTHING, please let us know. Show 'em what your made of !!!!!

Take care,
Paul, Trish, Lauren and Madison